The Perfect Chocolate Trifle
I sort of discovered this recipe on my own.
That isn't to say this is my own recipe - I've taken adaptations/sections from other recipes to make this delicious dessert. Which by the way, serve it in wine glasses or cocktail glasses for you next dinner party, and I guarantee you it will be a huge hit.
There are two layers to this easy recipe.
Chocolate cake layer:
I used a simple brownie recipe to get the moist chocolate-cake like layer that you see in the photos. If you prefer to use a more cake-like texture versus the chewy brownie one, feel free to!
After making the brownies, I waited for it to cool, crumbled it and then set it aside whilst I made the cream cheese filling.
Recipe to the brownies:
Cream cheese filling:
I've made a Strawberry Angel Food Dessert (which will be up on the blog soon) before, using a recipe from All Recipes. The cream cheese filling that you see is an adaptation from this.
- 1 packet (8oz) of cream cheese
- 4 oz of whipped cream (or 250ml of fresh heavy cream)
- 1 cup of white sugar (to taste)
- 2 oz of whipped cream (optional)
- 3/4 cup of chopped/sliced strawberries (optional)
1. If required, beat the fresh cream on high speed using an electric handmixer, for roughly 2-3 minutes to obtain your whipped cream. Be careful to not overbeat. Alternately you can use frozen whipped topping, thawed.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese and white sugar until there are no lumps, and is smooth.
3. Fold in the whipped topping with the cream cheese mixture together using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
You have your cream cheese filling!
1. Use the crumbled brownie or cake to apply your first layer on a tray, bowl or glass of your choice.
2. Apply the cream cheese filling on top of the chocolate layer, of the same thickness as your first layer.
3. Repeat for another two layers.
You can use a standard whipped cream topping, instead of another cream cheese layer. Garnish with chopped strawberries if you'd like.